Sunday 12 September 2010

Neil Channing: A Broken Man



After year's of staking many of the UK's best known pros, Neil Channing has finally cracked and revealed all the downfalls of being a poker player's most flexible friend. In an exclusive interview at the World Poker Open, Channing was asked about the life of a staker, and in particular his relationship with James Akenhead who Channing has staked a number of times.

"There's 3,900 people in the tournament," starts Channing referring to Akenhead's 2008 near bracelet miss, "and I have 50 percent of him and he comes second. He gets it all in with A-K versus T-4. He didn't even have a pair. All he won was $520,000, and he could have won $850,000."

"As if he hasn't destroyed me enough," he continues with a tear in his eye, "the next year he sells me 25 percent of himself [in the Main Event]. He makes the November Nine and he finishes ninth. He doesn't realise what it's done to me."

"I'm a sad and bitter individual," he concludes, "and I wouldn't recommend staking to anybody out there. Don't do this at home."

To view the exchange in its entirety, select play on the following clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4IbMShxpvw


Akenhead's lack of respect for the 2008 Irish Open Champion grew even worse at the World Poker Open in Mayfair, London, as Channing sacrificed himself in the opening heat so that Akenhead would have less players to defeat, and could go onto to win the tournament.

Faced with a cut-off raise from Sam Trickett, Channing correctly identified that his opponent had Ac-Jh and would call an all-in, and so took the opportunity to make the game easier for Akenhead by coming over the top with a dominated Ad-8d. Trickett called, and after a Ts-Kd-Ks-9s-Qh board, Channing's job was done and he was eliminated in eighth.

"I tried my best to help James," commented a frustrated Channing afterwards, "and make one last effort to rebuild the bridge between us, but he just wasn't interested. With me in the field, he had no chance, so I intentionally put myself on the sidelines. It was the perfect opportunity for him to at least win a spot in the runners-up heat. Seeing as I didn't have a percentage, I was sure he was going to win, but he dropped the ball once again."

Despite this act of heroism, Akenhead was unable to defeat the depleted field, and could only manage a third when he pushed 15 big blinds from the button with Qs-Jd before being looked up by Trickett's 9c-9h. The board rolled out 7h-As-6c-4c-Ah, and Akenhead's lack of gratitude officially knew no bounds. He'd been beaten by a man who likely wouldn't stand a chance in the final, and some Irish dude who once came to a tournament handcuffed to leprechaun.

"James was in the gutter when I found him," added Channing, desperately fighting back the tears, "and not once did he try to give me a walk in this heat. I play every tournament at a disadvantage now; I'm the only player battling with a broken heart. My painful experiences with James make it very difficult to ever stake anyone again."

If you would like to be staked by Neil Channing, then please check out our Belt-Up Rewards system to find out how you can scale the ranks to Brown Belt and receive $4,000 in sponsorship every month.

No comments:

Post a Comment