Saturday 28 March 2009

Gift of the Gavin


While short stacks bust left and right, the odd table stalls for a while as someone just can't pull the life-or-death switch one way or the other. Just now Fintan Gavin re-raised all in over the top of button raiser Robert Panayi in the big blind. Neither player with too great a stack, Panayi had put in a standard 3k-ish raise, and now had to consider calling all-in, covered. Just for emphasis, Gavin toppled one by one his stacks after moving the lot across the line - the dealer resignedly counted them back into stacks and it was over to Panayi for the decision.


He started the dwell process, but Gavin wasn't going to just let him think about it. On with the verbal onslaught: "I say you have absolute garbage. And I guarantee- guarantee- you're not calling. No I'm not rushing you." He then offered to pay Panayi £50 to either fold or call (I didn't hear which and it didn't really matter - confusion had clearly set in to his opponent).

"Shut up," Panayi eventually wearily requested rather than snapped, but Gavin continued, "It's so obvious you have garbage. [pause] C'mon... Clock!"

"That's taking the piss!" Panayi retorted, "Let someone else call the clock. I have a pocket pair," he admitted then.
"You wanna flip?" instantly retorted Gavin.
"Will you show me if I fold?" asked Panayi.
"Absolutely...not!"

Panayi decided against taking the flip, even though he's now short stacked - folding Sixes face up.
"I tell you, I was a little hard on you," soothes Gavin, showing him A-J off, and proffering his hand for shaking. Rattled, Panayi refused, to be beset with some more muttering about bad sportsmanship from his Irish interrogator.

No comments:

Post a Comment